Friday, February 24, 2012

Read-O

In order to encourage the students to have a varied reading life, we have started to play Read-O. We expect each child to read a book from each of the categories on the chart below.  For the "Teacher Choice" box, Alex and I will pick a book that we think will challenge the reader to grow in a direction that is not his/her normal go-to area. Many readers will be encouraged to read a Newbery winner for this category. I explained to the class that all readers are typically drawn to one genre of books over others and that this activity will broaden their horizons. I personally love when my book club reads a book that is out of my personal reading taste.  We will have a celebration later in the year to recognize all the students who complete their Read-O cards.



R
E
A
D
-
O

Historical Fiction
Fantasy


Biography
Adventure


Teacher Choice

Mystery