Envisioning, Predicting, and Inferring
- Make mental movies and envision the characters
- Envision the main character's world
- Empathize and connect with characters
- Revise mental images of characters
- Predict what will happen and how
We are reading aloud Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo as part of this unit. This book will be our class mentor text as we explore character development.
Walking through the misty Florida woods one morning, twelve-year-old Rob Horton is stunned to encounter a tiger - a real-life, very large tiger - pacing back and forth in a cage. What’s more, on the same extraordinary day, he meets Sistine Bailey, a girl who shows her feelings as readily as Rob hides his. As they learn to trust each other, and ultimately, to be friends, Rob and Sistine prove that some things - like memories, and heartaches, and tigers - can’t be locked up forever.
(summary of book from Amazon.com)