Moravian Sugar Cake
Yield: 4 9x9 cakes
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup plain mashed potatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- *6 cups flour
- Brown sugar
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and add a teaspoon of sugar. Once the yeast has "proved" itself (gotten bubbly), mix potatoes, sugar, butter, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add yeast mixture and stir well. Stir in eggs and enough flour to make a soft dough -- this can be as little as 5 cups or as much as 6 1/2 depending on the humidity the day you make the cakes.
- Cover the dough and let rise until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Divide dough in four equal pieces and roll or stretch out to fit into 9x9 greased pans.
- Cover and let rise again.
- When doubled, make indentations in the top of each cake about 1 inch apart with your fingers.
- Sprinkle each cake with brown sugar, about a 1/4 cup per cake, sprinkle with cinnamon, about 1/2 teaspoon per cake, and set small cubes of butter into the holes in each cake.
- Bake in a 375-degree F oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.