Here are some tips that may prove helpful to you during this meeting with your child:
- Let your child be in charge, ask clarifying questions, and focus on the work and the student’s growth—think big picture.
- Listen to your child’s self-report and reflections. Ask supportive questions to gain clarity.
- By the end of the conference help your child have a clear and realistic assessment of themselves along with a shared plan for approaching the trimester ahead.
- What I think I hear you saying is…
- You seem to really enjoy…Why do you think that is?
- You seem to be having a difficult time with….Why do you think that is?
- If you know why…is happening, what would be a possible solution?
- Tell me what is the most important thing that you learned in…
- What is your favorite time during the school day and why?